Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Jul 2, 2012

REVIEW: Virals by Kathy Reichs


Title: Virals
Series: Virals #1
Author: Kathy Reichs
Rating: 4 1/2
GoodReads

Synopsis:
“Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.


As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot-if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.


Fortunately, they are now more than friends- they're a pack. They are Virals.”

Review:
  When I first saw Virals, what drew me in was that it is written by Kathy Reich, the same author that writes the books that the show Bones is based off of. Ive never read any of the Temperance Brennan novels, but I love the show Bones so I decided that I needed to give Virals a try.

  The first time that I read the synopsis I was skeptical. Virals sounded fast paced and thrilling but I also thought that it sounded weird. A book where kids get dog powers? How good can that be? I actually ended up really enjoying it. I loved the mystery, the plot, the characters, and even the so called “dog powers.”

  The main character is Tory, who is Temperance Brennan’s niece. With Tory’s dad being a scientist and her aunt being an anthropologist you know that Tory is going to be one smart cookie. I ended up really liking Tory but, who I like even more than Tory is  her group of friends. Tory hangs out with 3 other nerdy guys and they are great! Tory and her friends live on a private island, where their scientist parents can easily go to work (another, different private island.) How cool is that?! It would be awesome to live on a private island with only your friend’s families and very few else. Now I won’t go and spoil anything by telling you about the canine abilities that Tory and her friends develop except that they are seriously awesome.

  I really liked Virals, way more than I thought that I was going to. I highly recommend that you read it if you like fast paced mysteries with some sci-fi geekery going on. Virals is the first book in a series that I cant wait to get my hands on!