Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feb 20, 2013

A Quest into the Land of Fairy-tales!

I'm the type of girl who loves all things fairy tales. I grew up watching Disney, reading fairytale retellings, and wishing that I could be a princess in general. (Funny story, my favorite Disney movies were Mulan and Tarzan, not actual princess movies. I feel like it was the life version of foreshadowing on the types of entertainment I like to watch and read.) Disney fairy tales are great with their happy endings but that's not how many of the original fairy tales ended. My favorite two examples of this are the original stories of The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty (a.k.a. Little Briar Rose.) If you don't know the real way these stories go I highly suggest that you give them a google. They end anything but happy. Most of the original fairy tales are very dark and gritty, not anything like the Hollywood versions that we know and love. 

I'm so intrigued by the real stories, and I find them very inspiring. That is why I have taken it upon myself to read all of the Grimm's Brothers and Hans Christian Anderson's tales. I have these two gorgeous leather bound books from Barnes and Nobles that contain all of the stories. My plan is to read at least one story a day starting tomorrow until I get through them all. I'm excited! The main way ill be sharing my fairy tale exploits is through twitter so make sure you're following me! (@YngAdventuress)

Whats your favorite fairy tale? Have you read any of the originals? 

Buy the books: